Township Hall
20260 Capital Avenue N.E.
Battle Creek, MI 49017
(269) 968-8549
  |  
Candle Safety Tips

Without a doubt, candlelight is romantic, soothing and can provide a pleasant atmosphere.  However, it can also be disastrous.  Candle fires more than double tin the winter months.  According to the National Fire Protection Association, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day are the days most likely to have a fire occur due to the use of candles.

Burning candles has been a common practice for many centuries; while it once served a practical use, it is now used for providing a soothing atmosphere that is enjoyed by more and more people each year.  If monitored, candles can be used safely.  However, if left unattended or used to closely to combustibles, it can turn a cozy refuge into a fiery trap.  Most fires due to candles start in the bedroom.

The following tips are offered to ensure proper candle use and to prevent disaster due to fire:

  • Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or when going to sleep.  Never leave lit candles unattended.
  • Keep candles at least three feet away from any combustibles like curtains and furniture.
  • Ensure candles are placed on a non-combustible surface that will prevent the candle from being overturned.
  • Make sure the candle holder is large enough to collect all the melted wax.
  • Place candles where kids or pets can't knock them over by accident.
  • Keep the candles far away from any type of flammable liquid, and do not use an aerosol candle near a lit candle.
  • Never leave children alone in rooms where candles are lit and always store lighters and matches where they can be locked away.
  • candles that burn fast and drip a lot are more dangerous than ones that burn slowly and efficiently.
  • Remember a holder such as a votive cup will be hot, so do not touch it with the candle lit or soon after.  Let it cool before disposing of the used candle.

Fire Safety is a conscious decision.  Use candles, but be safe doing it.